Disk Cleanup tool keeps freezing or takes a long time to load in Windows XP
Every now again we cant escape the old desktop keeps freezing and running a disk cleanup, now When you try to compress old files on a Windows XP-based computer, the Disk Cleanup tool may stop responding, and you may receive the following message:
This may take a few minutes to complete.
Scanning: Compress old files
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- Type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
- Locate and then click the following registry key:
- On the File menu, click Export, click Desktop, type VolumeCaches in the File name box, and then click Save.Note This step creates a backup of the VolumeCaches registry key. If you experience any problems after you complete the steps that are listed in this procedure, you can use this backup to restore the VolumeCaches key to its original state. To restore the key, double-click the VolumeCaches.reg file on your desktop, and then click Yes.
- Expand the following registry key:
- Delete the Compress old files registry key.
- Exit Registry Editor.
Download the fix for windows XP from here
Posted on November 1, 2012, in Desktop Support, Microsoft, Windows XP and tagged computer, disk cleanup tool, Disk Cleanup tool keeps freezing or takes a long time to load in Windows XP, disk cleanup utility. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.